Monday, December 20, 2010

Twisted Sisterhood

Hello, all! I am trying a NEW approach. A blog discussion about a book. I just read this:


And I think it is a really important book. I am declaring it January's book, to be discussed by comments on this post. {Feel free to organize a formal meeting, of course. But I will be in London, so I won't be joining!}
Go ahead and Google the book to find out more, but please make a point to read this book! It is about very important issues that I KNOW we have all dealt with.

2 comments:

  1. PAGES I FOLDED OVER, SO I COULD COME BACK TO THEM {AND WHY}:

    Page 39 -- Marion Underwood suggests that girls are driven by an innate desire to belong. We have to fit in, be included, and feel secure. We go to great lengths to protect our status and our situation.

    Page 83 -- “It’s easy to find many faces to know here, but very hard to find souls to know.”

    Page 128 -- Valen has decided that the feminist movement has done nothing but confuse us and stress us out. Now we have to be women AND men -- powerful career driven females who also nurture and tend in the home.

    Page 151 -- Basics women have forgotten to teach their children: how to empathize, control their impulses, realize the world doesn’t owe them anything, and appreciate that their behaviors have a real effect on other kids’ inner lives.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I found so many things about this book thought-provoking and saddening. I have definitely been on the mean girl side and I have definitely been a victim of bullying. But stopping to understand that this is NOT just a “girls will be girls” situation or something we should just be chalking up to a “learning experience” is really eye opening. I have a new New Year’s Resolution now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some book group questions also, to generate discussion:
    http://www.kellyvalen.com/the-twisted-sisterhood/reading-group-questions/

    ReplyDelete